Monday, February 10, 2014

Just Another Week Across the Pacific!

Sister Collyer doing the Korean Peace Sign
This is how you do the korean peace signs correctly
Nothing too exciting happened this week so this email probably wont be horribly long but I do have a few fun stories to tell.

First off I am now starting to get letters! I got a letter from dad earlier this week that he sent before I left Korea so it really is snail mail but it was exciting. :) And I got both of the packages you sent me! They are AMAZING! We love them. :) They came on Wednesday I think? So packages come super fast.

I had my first zone conference this week! We were able to get out of Jeon-Ju which was really exciting. I was able to meet the paratrooper at zone conference. He is an investigator I'm still not quite sure why he has that name but apparently he shows up at all the missionary gatherings because he some how finds out about them then gives all the sisters socks and all of the missionaries little plastic animal things that look really creepy...he gave me a lion/dog. It is a lion with a dog face and the eyes terrify me. Apparently everyone in the whole mission knows about him. He's slightly strange and is one of the people who thinks he knows English but he doesn't. He was talking to me in English but I had no idea what he was saying so I just smiled and nodded my head the whole time.

Sister Collyer Playing on Exercise Equipment at a Park in Korea
So almost all parks have exercise equipment so this is when we played on it :)
Another funny story: so on Saturday night, Sister Stradling and I were walking to the bus stop and we got stopped by this older man and he beckoned us over. He was a little bit tipsy. He walked into his shop and we saw that all of his friends were getting drunk as well. We were really scared that he was going to offer us alcohol but he came out with rice cakes and made us start to eat them in front of him. After we left we were scared to finish them (he gave us a TON) and When we talked to the elders they told us we should probably just throw it away so we did. But that is my first experience with drunk men in Korea!

Sister Collyer Playing on Exercise Equipment in Korea
More playing on the exercise equipment while waiting for an appointment with a member
I also got my first number on the bus this week! This was probably the highlight of my week because I really have trouble proselyting. Like a lot. I really don't like it at all but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I have to do it. So at one point on the bus I started talking to the lady next to me and she was impressed that I "knew" Korean so she started talking to me super fast and I had no idea what she was saying ever but after a little bit of bearing testimony about the Book of Mormon in broken Korean I gave her my planner to write her number in and she did! then when she was getting off she told me to call her! (I had no idea that's what she said sister Stradling told me that later) so that was exciting :)

Now for the spiritual highlight of the week: Last night we met with Amanda and we talked to her about the Liahona (the Korean Ensign) and showed her the conference version. Then somehow we got on the topic of angels and she started talking about times when she had felt the help of angels in her life! So exciting! Then we gave her a talk by president Monson to read that he gave at the last relief society broadcast. She's still really dedicated to her church though but she always wants to meet with us so hopefully her heart softens.


But that was pretty much my week! I hope life at home is going well! I love you all so much and pray for you all the time :)

- Sister Collyer 콜리여 자매 (kol-lee-yeo ja- mae)

No comments:

Post a Comment