Monday, February 24, 2014

Missionaries serving in Asia learn to rely on the Lord

My district!
L to R: Park, Paskett, Stradling, me, Jensen, Friedmann.
This shows how perfectly awkward our district was
So earlier this week Sister Marsden told me a quote "Missionaries Serving in the States learn to preach the Gospel in English. Missionaries serving in Foreign Countries learn to preach the gospel in a foreign language. And missionaries serving in Asia learn to rely on the Lord." This week I really learned that the hard way.

This was by far the hardest week I have been out so far. Not for any reason other than the past few weeks of actually being a missionary finally are hitting me. And its hard. I had quite a few break downs this week and sometimes I thought that I didn't want to go on, and was praying that I could just go home because I hated it. Everyone always tells you that missionary work is hard but you don't really realize how hard it actually is until you have been here for a month. And I was talking to sister Marsden about it and she said that missionary work is so much harder than anything else because you never get a break. And that is so true! You're always a missionary even on PDay there is no such thing as a break. So its really taxing to your body mentally emotionally physically and spiritually. Anyways, so really hard week for no reason other than being a missionary is the most taxing thing I have ever done. So Thursday and Friday and Saturday were really bad, then, when I was talking to sister Marsden about it, she suggested I get a blessing.

The priesthood is real. And it really is God's authority. I asked our zone leader Elder Paskett to give me a blessing. He had no idea what was going on with my life besides feeling like I needed a blessing. And that blessing he gave me answered all of my prayers. I have been praying to really gain a testimony of the book of Mormon and to better recognize the spirit in my life. I also have been praying that the Lord give me the strength to endure because I have just wanted to give up a LOT. And in the blessing. Elder Paskett blessed me to gain a love for the Book of Mormon and to feel the promptings of the spirit with more clarity. He also blessed me to have the physical, mental, and emotional strength to meet the demands of a mission. EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED! I always believed in the power of the priesthood but wow, it was a humbling experience when a guy I barely knew answered every single one of my prayers in a blessing. The priesthood is real! And I don't know what I would do without it :)

Anyways onto the other things about this week. Transfers are this week! Sister Hilton is being transferred so that's depressing :( and pretty much our whole zone is being changed but hopefully it will be fun. We met with Amanda this week and she asked us to bear our testimonies to her! So that was exciting. And she talked to us about how she feels like she has been so focused on studying English that she has turned her back on God recently. Sister Stradlings response to that was " Maybe that's why we are in your life." Totally the answer! In Pres. Monson's talk, "We Never Walk Alone" from the last relief society session, he shares a poem about prayers. She said that she wanted to memorize the poem and she added a line of her own to the end. It said "And I will endure to the end." We love her she's great :)

Then there's Stella. We have been struggling with her lately because she hasn't been coming to church and she hasnt been keeping her commitments. She came to a baptisumal service on Friday with her friend but left before the baptism even happened because her friend wanted to go get dinner. So we were really discouraged. But after church yesterday she texted us and said "I regret that I didnt come to worship today. I think it purifies my mind. I shjould attend worship every Sunday. and make it a duty." So it looks like things might be looking up with her too! We attended her college graduation on Friday and met her parents. It was a really good experience and she was really touched that we came

We also met with a member of our ward this week  who teaches kids arts and crafts and she wants us to come in a teach our 30/30 program to them once a week (30 min english 30 mins gospel) and we got two refferals from members up in Seoul who want us to teach their nieces English and introduce them to the gospel! So it was a pretty good week besides the break downs but those are just minor details :)

I hope everything is going well for you and you all have a great week :)

- Sister Collyer 콜리여 자매 (kol-lee-yeo ja- mae)

Posing With Confusius

Me in front of a huge tree.

This is what happens at night on a regular basis


These are from today. We went to this really famous paintings on houses this that I don't know the name of right off hand i have it written down but it was so fun! The Korean women in the pictures is our young women's president and the other white girl is Rebekah shes in our ward and just moved her to teach English. Shes the secretary in young women
 



No comments:

Post a Comment