Saturday, November 16, 2013

Friday, November 15, 2003 - First Letter Home!

FAMILY!!!

My P-Day is Friday! Best day ever to have P-Day! Okay I'll start from when Rebecca dropped me off on Wednesday.

I got checked in and everything then I went to my class room and met my teacher and the Elders and Sisters in my district. My teachers name is Brother Stanley. He went to Seoul on his mission and he speaks to us in nothing but Korean. We pretty much all look like deer in headlights and its like a big game of charades to figure out what hes trying to tell us but its good. He spoke english to us for the first time yesterday and we all didnt know what to do with ourselves.But he's a good teacher. we know how to introduce ourselves and say where were from! We also learned how to pray yesterday. That was really exciting. I prayed last night in Korean for the first time and my companions all laughed at me because one of them is fluent and I guess I failed. Okay so my companions. I'm in a threesome. Sister Patton is short and super cute and already fluent in Korean because she lived there for 15 years and shes like our Savior. She helps us out alot, but she might be leaving to go to Korea in a week or two because she already knows the language so were going to die. My other companion is Sister Jenson. She had quite the personality. It took me a little bit to get used to her but I'm doing it. She is obsessed with Korea and everything about it and shes not afraid to say everything that is on her mind but its fun. We have trouble getting to bed on time but were getting closer Last night we were only 15 mins later than we should be!

Anyways, so we've been to a ton of workshops about how to be a better missionary and one I really liked was on the first night here we had mock investigators that wa huge group of us could talk with. They were all so different and I loved hearing their back stories and the other missionaries insites on what they thought would help this investigators were great.

We met with our branch Presidency last night and theyre great, All of them are fluent in Korean except the branch president. I imagine Sundays are super confusing for him. One of his councelors, Brother Snow, says he knows dad from being a lawyer in California! He's bald. But I dont know if he was bald when he met dad. He said he recognized my name then he was the one that interview me and he said he felt like he needed to interview me right from when he looked at my picture a few days ago. Hes great. He told me that I shouldnt get discouraged about not learning the language fast and that everyone learns at their own speed. Which is what I needed to hear because Dad lied to me about the whole I'll be ahead of the group thing. All the girls already read it and the Elders are learning fast. It's slowly coming along for me to but its hard. But I know the Lord will bless me so everything will be okay/

Were teaching our first investigator tonight in korean. WHAT?? When was that ever okay?? its okay. All the sisters in our hall said they butchered it their first time so it will be okay. I also have to prpare a 3-5 min talk on the holy ghost in Korean for Sunday because our branch presidency picks out 1 Elder and 1 Sister from the Branch during sacrament meeting to give what they prepared. Our zone leaders said no one had been picked on their first week except one of my zone leaders. I forget his name. So he cursed us all and now youre never safe.

I like my district a lot. It has five sisters and six Elders. We were the only ones who came in on Wednesday Korean speaking amnd apparently that was not very many at all. We have two Elders from New Zealand and I could listen to them talk for hours.Elder Tira and Elder Esiaih (Ithink thats how you spell it...) The other ones are all from the states. There's Elder Ross whose cousins with my companion Sister Jenson, then Elder Maccarty, Elder Payne then our distrcit leader Elder Peterson. The Sisters are my companions then Sister Lamburt (Who lived in Korea for three years on a military base) and Sister Jensen. Yes we have two Sister Jenson/Jensen it gets confusing. We're still getting closer but we all bond by struggling through Korean.

The first day we got here was extremely overwhelming. We have very sceduled days and the first night when we got back to the room we just wanted to go to bed but all the sisters in our branch were really excited that we were there so they all came into our room. Yesterday was better. Our class can get super loud though. I feel bad for Brother Sanley when hes trying to control us. Sister Jenson (my companion) gets super excited and sometimes doesnt listen to him when he tells her to be quiet. Theres quite the age difference among my companions and you can kinda tell when were sitting in class. Sister Jenson is 19 and she just graduated in June and Sister Patton is 22. All the boys except for two in my district are 18 so strange.

I think thats all the high lights of what has happened so far. We're going to the temple today so that will be fun :) but we only get the temple for like 2 weeks before it closes for cleaning until the first of the year :( I still dont have a fridge yet. I've been pestering them about that. They were supposed to bring it yesterday but it never came they said they would for sure bring it today so hopefully that works. I also set up and appointment today with the health clinic to make sure that I can go to my doctors appointment in January so everything is covered :)

Sorry if this email kind of scatter brained. I'm just so excited to be using a computer! I love you all and hope you're all doing well. Can't wait to hear from you! The Lord loves you and I couldn't be happier serving him right now. Hopefully it gets a little less overwhelming soon though. Talk to you soon!

사랑해,
Sister Collyer

No comments:

Post a Comment