Sunday, June 8, 2014

Me with the young women in my ward.


Not a super eventful week out in Jeon Ju, but there are some noteworthy things.

First, on Tuesday after district meeting we had a less active, Sister Kim, call us and ask us to come to the church. So we did and when we got there Sister Son found her collapsed on the floor of the chapel crying. He husband had a brain hemorrhage a few months ago and he has just been getting worse since and he needs another surgery and she doesn’t want him to have to go through it again. So we sat with her for a few hours and read the Book of Mormon and Sister Son played hymns and I sang them to her with my arm around her. At one point I had my arm around her and I said I loved her in Korean and she put her head on my shoulder. It was really touching. But that experience made me realize that the church really is a safe haven for the downtrodden. There is a certain spirit in the chapel that you can’t find anywhere else.
I got a hair cut! So we got smoothies.

We also had a lesson with Jani! Her Korean name is 문은숙  in case you were curious. And it went really well! She read five more chapters in the Book of Mormon! And she asked if Nephi was writing more on the brass plates or if he started a new record and so we explained that he was writing the Book of Mormon and she asked who the Lamb of God was. Then when she prayed she said that she was diligently studying the Book of Mormon and she prayed to better understand the hard vocabulary. It was adorable. She said she couldn’t come to church because she had to study (story of Korean high school students lives) but we are hoping when we teach keep the Sabbath day holy she will have a change of heart.
This is our members little boy who loves me. He's adorable.

We were able to just say hello of Sister Oh this week. She is starting a new funeral home business so she is really busy but it was supposed to open today so hopefully she will have a little more time. But her husband has come to church the past two weeks in a row so we have high hopes for them as well :)

I don’t remember if I told you but we tried to pick Amanda back up again but she is really just using us for our English so we had to drop her again. :( I hate dropping people...but it’s okay as Elder Christofferson told us "she’s just not ready yet."

We also had dinner at the relief society president’s house last night for her husband’s birthday with four other families in our ward. It was great. His birthday cake was a watermelon, proof that Koreans are healthier than Americans. But it was great. And when we taught, we taught about faith and it was a really cool experience to just have four or five families worth of people just listening to us. I loved it
 
Watermelon Birthday Cake
Anyways i hope everything is good at home! Happy late birthday mom! And happy birthday Amy and Eric! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment